The Georgia Public Library Service’s Learning Center is a clearinghouse for the continuing education and professional development needs of library staff in Georgia. We continually add new content in a multitude of areas, including adult services, customer service, and basic library training.
There are multiple ways to earn Georgia Public Library Service-sponsored Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for license renewal.
Online Courses, Events, and Webinars
- Completed Lynda.com courses
- Online courses and webinar archives provided by GPLS.
Workshops, Conferences, and Meetings
- GPLS will provide certificates for all workshops we conduct.
- Certified MLS staff attending state and national conferences that do not issue a certificate of completion will need to carry a Georgia CE Verification Form and get one signed by the presenter of each session.
- Certified MLS staff attending professional development workshops that do not issue a certificate of completion will need to get the Georgia CE Verification Form signed by each presenter. This may include individual library systems’ staff development day, unless a certificate is provided.
- Depending on the speaker and topic, contact hours/certificates are sometimes awarded at statewide Directors’ meetings. Appropriate links will be sent out after these meetings.
- Responsibility for documenting the fulfillment of the continuing education requirements rests with each licensee. Per Georgia Administrative Code Rule 320-5-.03, licensees must retain for a period of four years the evidence of completion of each course or program, a description of the contents of each course or program and verification of the number of hours of each course or program.
- Credit accrues at the rate of one hour for each hour of actual contact. Per Georgia Administrative Code Rule 320-5.05, credit will not be allowed for any program which in its entirety, including question and answer periods, lasts less than 30 minutes.
- More information about the official Georgia Administrative Code regulating licenses for librarians can be found at http://rules.sos.ga.gov/GAC/320-5.
Questions about CEUs, sponsored events, and training can be directed to your system’s local training coordinator (if applicable) or to Dorcas Davis at the Georgia Public Library Service: email@example.com.